Guest OS customization of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 may not complete when:
- You are attempting to customize a Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 virtual machine.
- The customization process appears idle and is no longer making progress.
- The last entries in the guestcust.log located in C:\Windows\TEMP\vmware-imc\ are:
Rescheduling Guest OS Customization
Executing command C:\Windows\system32\schtasks.exe /create …
- vCenter Server events for the virtual machine show that customization started but there is no indication of success or failure.
This issue is resolved in:
- vCenter Server 5.0 Update 2, available at VMware Downloads.
For more information about this version, see the vCenter Server 5.0 Update 2 Release Notes.
- vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1, available at VMware Downloads.
For more information about this version, see the VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 Release Notes.
- ESXi 5.1 Update 1, available at VMware Downloads.
For more information about this version, see the VMware ESXi 5.1 Update 1 Release Notes.
Note: This issue can also affect vCloud Director (vCD). It has been resolved in vCD 5.1.3 and vCD 5.5 for Windows 2008 and Windows 2012. To download the latest vCD release, see VMware Downloads.
To workaround this issue when you cannot upgrade, reboot the virtual machine manually and then retry the customization.
For more information about supported Guest OS Customization, see the Guest OS Customization Support Matrix.